How to Create a ChatGPT Plugin: A Step-by-Step Guide
Creating a ChatGPT plugin is a game changer for accessing more information and expanding the capabilities of this AI tool. With this guide, you’ll learn how to create ChatGPT plugins easily using ChatGPT prompts to do all the coding work for you!
Requirements for Building and Running Your Own ChatGPT Plugin:
1. ChatGPT Plugin access (currently in beta)
2. ChatGPT 4 (paid version)
3. An API
4. Replit account
Getting Plugin Access:
To run the plugins you create, you must have access to ChatGPT Plugins, which is currently in beta. You can join the waitlist for plugins to get access.
ChatGPT 4 is only available to paid ChatGPT users and costs $20 per month. It is required for this tutorial because GPT 4 has better programming code generation abilities compared to GPT 3. You can access GPT 4 from the official ChatGPT interface in your account settings.
An API, or application programming interface, acts as an intermediary between you and another website with information. ChatGPT plugins often use APIs to retrieve data and combine it with GPT 4 logic to provide results. You can use APIs suggested by APILayer or come up with your own ideas.
Replit is a browser-based code interpreter and editor that ChatGPT communicates with to run your API code. Sign up for a Replit account as it is necessary to get your plugin up and running.
ChatGPT Plugin Components:
There are several components to a ChatGPT plugin:
1. Python App: This app, stored on Replit, communicates with the API you choose.
2. API Endpoints: These serve as touchpoints between ChatGPT and the API to fetch data.
3. Manifest File: It provides instructions on how ChatGPT can interact with your API endpoints.
4. OpenAPI Definition: This documentation file describes your plugin and its functionalities.
Steps to Create a ChatGPT Plugin:
1. Prompt GPT: Tell ChatGPT what type of plugin you want to create and which APIs you want to use.
2. Create main.py File: Ask ChatGPT to generate a complete main.py file by providing it with the API documentation. Paste the generated code into Replit.
3. Setup API Key: To hide your API key, use the Secrets tool in Replit to create a key name and value. Add the key as an import and use it in the code.
4. Create API Endpoints: Prompt ChatGPT to create API endpoints for the functions in your Python app. Use a web framework like Flask and replace the main.py code with the new API endpoint code.
5. Manifest File: Ask ChatGPT to generate a manifest file for your app. Copy the example from the OpenAI documentation and paste your main.py code into the prompt. Add the generated code to Replit in a file named ai-plugin.json.
6. OpenAPI Definition: Create a documentation file that explains how ChatGPT can interact with your plugin. Copy the OpenAPI Definition section from the OpenAI documentation and add it to a file named openapi.yaml in Replit.
7. App Routing: Implement routing in your main.py file to host your plugin. Add the necessary code to serve the ai-plugin.json and openapi.yaml files.
8. Install and Setup Waitress: In Replit, install Waitress to run your web application on a server. Add the necessary import and code at the bottom of the main.py file.
9. Run Application: Hit the Run button in Replit to host your plugin on the internet.
10. Replace Default Domain Names: Replace your-domain.com with the Replit URL provided in both the ai-plugin.json and openapi.yaml files.
11. Install in ChatGPT: Switch your ChatGPT model to Plugins and visit the Plugin Store. Click on Develop Your Own Plugin, paste the Replit URL, find the manifest file, and install the plugin.
Creating a ChatGPT plugin using an API is a straightforward process. Once you know how to generate the required files, you can easily customize ChatGPT’s behavior and access custom information. If you have any questions, feel free to comment below!
1. How do I add plugins to ChatGPT?
To add plugins, you need access from OpenAI. Once you have access, switch your model to Plugins and you can access the official plugin store or add third-party plugins.
2. What are plugins for ChatGPT?
ChatGPT plugins are additional features, tools, or integrations that enhance the capabilities and functionality of ChatGPT. They can customize the chatbot’s behavior, access external APIs, and more.